Tuesday, September 24, 2013

CANTERBURY TALES (I)

*I would most likely want to read about the Parson and the Nun.

The things that really popped out are the descriptions of the Nun and the Parrdoner.

 I was surprised by how ironic Chaucer's description that the Nun wore extravagant clothing and knew many things about other people. It stood out to me because the nuns we know today are the ones who dress up in their uniforms and are very pure and solemn, but the Old English nuns seems very different to the modern day nuns. But, this Chaucer's perspective so he can describe however he wants.

Also, the description of the Pardoner sticks out to me because he is one of the church, but he does make fun of the priest and the congregation. This irks me because I guess you could be one with the church, but then make fun of the church? Chaucer's description says " Made monkeys of the priest and congregation. But still to do him justice first and last In church he was a noble ecclesiast." That description really made the Pardoner segment memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment