Monday, November 25, 2013

Thinking Outside the Box

Create a post for your blog entitled THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX in which you compare how Plato and Sartre describe the limitations of our thinking and imply solutions to the problem.  Be sure to analyze their literary techniques, especially their use of allegory and extended metaphor.

I am not quite sure yet, if what I am about to type answers the prompt. But here it goes.

Plato says that the only way out of our cave, our mind, is through intellect. We must be able to think for ourselves. We also must be able to hear what other people say, and from what other people say, we can venture out on our own way and experience it ourselves. Plato says that is the only way to reality. The cave represents our mind, and the outside world represents reality.

Through the use of the characters in the play "No Exit", Sartre describes the place where we tend to reflect on life and the place where our mind tends to bombard us with millions and millions of thoughts are one and the same. It is sort of hell-like because that is a place of isolation because hell is a place where there is no way to get out, but if we are able to think things through, then we will be able to find a way out. I am not sure if he using this as an allusion to the Biblical hell, but I think so.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment! I agree with the isolation is hell. (I added that in mine, too) I think Sartre was trying to represent the Biblical hell because Estelle, Inez, and Garcin died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have really good insight about the two peices and compared them really well! Good Job!
    check out my post too! http://kcrockettrhsenglit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your analyses of the two pieces separately,they are concise and insightful, but it would have been nice to see more comparison between the two. Good job overall though, I really like your blog as well as this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Lesther! I think your idea of a lake of fire hell was interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesther I had never thought of the cave as our mind. Thanks for that. You did a good job summing up your ideas. They were simple and well stated. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete