Monday, October 28, 2013

To Be or Not To Be Analysis

While memorizing Hamlet, I analyzed different parts of the soliloquy to get a better understanding so that parts will stick to my mind. Some parts a little bit fuzzy, but I am trying my best to recite the whole thing in a video that I will post here when I finally am confident enough of my video.

I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I have tried to practice on my video editing skills to put this video together. I am in a collaborative working group in which we, as a class, would have a video conference with certain people, and I must be able to record and edit the footage to create one, beautiful looking video, so here was my jab at it. I assure I did not cheat; when I get nervous, my eyes tend to move everywhere.


To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks

(The section above, I feel, is talking about his inner conflicts and what to do about them. I feel like he is deciding whether or not to submit to his troubles. Also, Hamlet is saying that "sleeping on it" might not have the greatest effect as working the problems out.)

That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;

(I think he is saying that we, as human beings, are vulnerable to all kinds of conflicts in life. Sometimes, those conflicts are not what we want, and if we allow it to continue, then we are pretty much letting it take over lives.)

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make

(I think Hamlet is saying that it isn't worth your life to deal with the "whips and scorns" or the troubles and negativity of life. Especially, it isn't worth to bottle up your feelings inside without showing any signs of desperation and depression.)

With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?

(This section I feel like Hamlet is talking about how some other people are not considerate of our feelings, and then that they rather have us bear our problems by ourselves than to take the time to help us in our times of need.)

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment

(In this section, I feel that Hamlet is saying that everyone will feel their conscience guilt tripping them. I feel like he is saying that after feeling the guilt, those people, who didn't help before, will now take the next opportune moment and help us resolve our problems.)

With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

(I think Hamlet is saying that some people's conscience will keep telling them what they did wrong, but yet they still don't act on it. I'm not sure why he mentions Ophelia. But, "be all my sins remember'd", I think that this is about if he commits suicide, he still wants to be remembered.)

No comments:

Post a Comment